Offering The Skilled, Tailored Counsel You Deserve

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Practice Area Overview
  4.  » Child Custody & Child Support

Providing Child Custody And Child Support Solutions

I bring over 30 years of experience to child custody and child support issues in North Carolina. First and foremost, my focus is always on doing what is best for the child. An experienced lawyer can help you make sure your child is protected while ensuring your rights as a parent are fully protected.

I work closely with my clients to determine the best strategy for resolving child custody and child support issues. Contact me today to schedule an appointment.

Skilled Child Custody Representation

In North Carolina, judges decide child custody cases based on what is in the best interest of the child. They have a wide range of discretion in these cases and may consider anything in the parents’ past, present and future, including testimony from child custody evaluators, psychologists or other witnesses in making a decision.

With couples waiting to be parents or individuals remarrying later in life and starting families, we are seeing more middle-aged couples going through divorce and dealing with family law issues at a later time. Sometimes such individuals have children from prior marriages as well as children from their current marriage. I understand what such individuals are going through as I am accustomed to trying complex child custody matters. I am adept at working towards the best possible resolution.

If you and the other parent of your child are unable to agree on a custody arrangement, you will be required to undertake child custody mediation in most areas in North Carolina prior to proceeding to trial. If a parent is granted primary legal custody, they have primary decision making authority over the major parenting issues. Joint legal custody will result in shared decision making between both parents. If joint physical custody is issued, the child will share time between parents. I have extensive experience in these cases and will work to resolve the case in a way that works for you and protects your child’s interests.

Child Custody Modification And Enforcement Issues

Modifications in child custody cases is generally a two-step process in which you must first prove that there has been a substantial change in circumstances affecting the child. Next, the court must then determine what arrangement in light of those changes will best suit the needs of the child. I have extensive experience in these matters and can help you prove a need for modification or bring your case to court to ensure your existing agreement is enforced.

Knowledgeable Counsel For Your Child Support Matter

In North Carolina, child support levels are based on the combined incomes of both parents and are subject to review every three to four years. A review that establishes a substantial change in income or evolving needs of the child may result in a revision of child support payments. In certain circumstances, it may be that a change in income or the child’s needs may require modification.

I represent mothers and fathers in child support enforcement cases. In these cases, you need an experienced attorney to ensure your rights are protected. There are many tools for enforcing support, including withholding wages and placing a levy against property.

The Need To Act Quickly To Establish Or Dispute Paternity

I help clients establish paternity in support cases, both initiating paternity suits and also by defending individuals who are involved in determining the paternity of a child. If there is a question regarding paternity in your situation, it is of the utmost importance to speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible.

Putting Your Child’s Interests First

I have provided a wide variety of family law services for residents of Greensboro for over 30 years. My office hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Fridays. Contact me today at The Law Office of Kevin R. Brackett to arrange for an appointment. Call 336-273-8595.